Burgess Hill dog owners warned about the danger of toxic acorns

editorial image
0
Have your say

Dog owners are being warned of the dangers of acorns after a dog became very ill from eating the nuts.

Max, a four-year-old Yellow Labrador, from Burgess Hill, was taken into Heath Vets, in Junction Road, after his owners noticed he was lethargic, unable to settle and drooling excessively.

The poorly pooch was examined by vet Nicky Chinneck, who was concerned that Max had ingested something toxic. She gave him an emetic injection to induce vomiting. Within minutes, Max vomited up a large quantity of acorns.

Max started to improve quickly. The clinic staff fed him charcoal enhanced food to absorb any remaining remnants of the acorns in his stomach and intestines.

Acorns contain tannic acid, which is believed to be the toxic component, and can cause damage to the liver and kidneys. Signs of toxic illness can include vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, a lack of appetite and lethargy.

Sarah Solomon, practice manager at Heath Vets, said: “Max’s owners acted quickly so Max should make a full recovery. Whilst it can be difficult to watch your dog’s every move when out walking them, it’s important to try and ensure they don’t eat or play with acorns due to the toxic ingredient. If Max hadn’t been treated so quickly, the outcome may have been very different. Be aware of the symptoms of toxicity and if you are concerned in any way, contact your vets immediately.”