Electric cigarette catches fire in Hurstpierpoint


Firefighters were called to a shop in Hurstpierpoint yesterday (Wednesday May 14) after an electric cigarette caught fire.

The incident happened at around 2.30pm in the High Street.

The fire was out on arrival and the emergency service made the charger safe.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue service say: “E-cigarettes are no substitute for quitting smoking altogether. There are a huge number of sources of support for anyone who wants help to give up smoking.

“Call the NHS Stop Smoking Helpline on 0300 100 1823 to find out what help is available close to where you.”

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has offered the following safety advice with e-cigarettes:

Always use the equipment in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions

Only use the charger that has been supplied with the device

Don’t leave e-cigarettes unattended while charging

When charging keep the e-cigarette and battery pack away from soft furnishings or combustible materials

Unplug the battery pack once fully charged

Ensure you have a working smoke alarm fitted on each level of your home