Fire safety warning after Burgess Hill house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

Firefighters are urging people to switch on to electrical fire safety following a blaze in Burgess Hill.

Two fire crews were called at 6.19pm on Tuesday (May 12) to a semi-detached house on Foxglove Close after an electrical cable running under a bed became frayed and started a fire in a bedroom.

Thankfully, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire using a hose reel and the damage was contained to the bedroom. The occupiers were unhurt.

Watch manager at Burgess Hill Fire Station Chris Bowles, who was the incident commander, said afterwards: “Worn or frayed wires present a very real fire risk. Out of sight is out of mind; if furniture, carpets or rugs are placed on or over cables there is potential for them to become damaged without you noticing.

“Electrical fires are one of the most common incidents that we attend but most are preventable. We recommend a regular visual check that electrical cables and leads are in good condition and unplugging electrical items when not in use.”

Chris’ electrical safety tips:

• Don’t place furniture, carpets, rugs or other items over electrical cables

• Regularly check for worn or frayed wires

• Don’t overload plug sockets

• Unplug electrical appliances when not in use

• Have a working smoke detector on each level of your home and test them weekly

For further advice on home fire safety visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire or call 0845 872 9719

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make our website your homepage at www.midsussextimes.co.uk

2 Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/midsussextimes

3 Follow us on Twitter @midsussex_times

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Mid Sussex Times - always the first with your local news.