DCSIMG

Firefighters encouraging caution for Lights Out remembrance campaign

Firefighters are asking those taking part in Monday's Lights Out remembrance campaign to be cautious

Firefighters are asking those taking part in Monday's Lights Out remembrance campaign to be cautious

Firefighters in West Sussex are reminding those taking part in the WW1 ‘Lights Out’ remembrance campaign on Monday (August 4) to take care with their candles.

Lights Out is a national initiative that marks 100 years since the outbreak of World War 1 when the then British foreign secretary, Sir Edward Grey, famously remarked: “The lamps are going out all over Europe; we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime.”

As a mark of remembrance the Royal British Legion is encouraging people to turn off their lights on Monday from 10-11pm leaving a single light or candle on for a shared moment of reflection.

With more than 50 fires started nationally by candles every day, West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service are asking people to take a little extra care if they are planning to join the remembrance by lighting a candle.

Jackie Boyle, Community Fire Safety Officer for West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service, said: “We certainly don’t want to discourage anyone from taking part in this national moment of reflection; we just want to remind people to take some simple precautions if they are planning to light a candle.

“It’s important to think about where you are placing your lit candles, they should always be away from curtains and out of the reach of pets and children. Most importantly, remember to extinguish your candles if you leave the room, it only takes a moment for a fire to start.”

West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service offers this easy to follow advice if you are using candles:

. Never leave a burning candle unattended

. Always place candles and tea lights well away from curtains, furniture or flammable materials and out of draughts

. Always place candles upright in suitable holders on a stable surface

. Keep candles out of reach of children and pets

. Ensure that candles or tea lights are placed in suitable heat resistant holders

. Working smoke alarms save lives, make sure your home and loved ones are protected

For a full range of free home fire safety advice visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page