A 93-year-old man who lost almost everything when his bungalow burned was presented with a new mobility scooter on Monday (April 28).
Patients at The Brow Medical Centre in Burgess Hill helped raise £650 for Matthew Hodgson, who said: “I’ve been inundated with kindness, it’s brilliant to have my scooter rather than these two sticks, I was immobile.”
Senior partner at The Brow Doctor Mandy Claiden said: “It’s an amazing act of kindness, they even got up and went to the cash machines.
“He’ll be able to buy Buckingham Palace soon,” she joked.
Mr Hodgson’s neighbour Lynda Bish noticed his house on fire as she made her way home and dragged him out to safety.
“My neighbour was amazing, if she didn’t drag me out I wouldn’t be alive. Recently there was a fire that killed eight people because of the fumes they inhaled, that could have been me,” Mr Hodgson added.