DCSIMG

Man dies after drinking vodka that was 40 per cent methanol

West Sussex Trading Standards are warning the public of the potentially fatal consequences of buying cheap Eastern European spirits while abroad.

The alert follows the death of a Polish man living in Worthing from methanol poisoning – which has now been linked to a Polish bottle of vodka.

The laboratory analysis has shown the vodka to contain 40 per cent methanol. It was not a ‘fake’ of a genuine brand, but is believed to have been a personal import from Poland.

There is no evidence that the vodka is currently available for supply in the UK.

Christine Field, West Sussex County Council Cabinet Member for Public Protection, said: “This was a tragic death.

“That is why we are issuing a warning and reminding shopkeepers who specialise in Eastern European food and drink that they should be on their guard in case anyone offers to supply them with personal imports.

“As a precaution, Trading Standards Officers will also be visiting these premises to advise the shopkeepers directly.”

A picture of the vodka bottle has also been issued as part of the warning.

Should anyone spot bottles of this drink in the county or be offered some they should contact Trading Standards on 01243 642124 as soon as possible.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page