A firefighter has been taken to hospital after part of a ceiling collapsed during a blaze at a bungalow in Burgess Hill.
The man was one of three people treated at the scene and then transferred to hospital during the emergency.
The firefighter was among 20 officers who tackled the blaze at the semi-detached home in Meeds Close this morning (Monday).
Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were utilised to get up close to the building through noxious smoke.
As the incident progressed it was disclosed that one of the rescuers had been injured and taken to hospital.
A spokeswoman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “One firefighter has been taken to hospital as a precautionary check because a small part of the ceiling had fallen down on his head.
“It was a precaution and we are expecting him to be released soon.”
Water from three hose reels was played on the property as members of the public and other emergency service crews stood by.
Two ambulances attended and two members of the public were taken to hospital after being treated initially for smoke inhalation at the scene.
The incident occurred in Meeds Close, off Station Road, close to the town centre at 11.26am. The blaze was not declared out until 2.18pm.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said 50 per cent of the bungalow was damaged by fire with the remainder damaged by heat and smoke.
The adjoining semi was also damaged by smoke and heat.
Four fire engines were attending the incident from Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath, Hurstpierpoint and Crawley.
A spokesman for the fire service said the cause of the fire was thought to be accidental at this stage.