Firefighters called to a fire in Hurstpierpoint have discovered a possible gas leak this afternoon (Tuesday March 4).
Three crews from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called to a single storey accommodation block in College Lane to reports of a small fire this afternoon.
While the fire was already out when firefighters arrived, they were alerted to a possible gas leak and have contacted the gas company.
A spokesperson for Hurstpierpoint Colege told te Middy: “College Lane has been closed while Southern Gas Network investigate a suspected gas leak in the area.
“The College was alerted to a problem in a small service boiler room on the edge of the campus, which serves an annex building.”
As a precaution, pupils who were in lessons or lunch at the time, have not returned to the boarding house in the vicinity, which has been cordoned off whilst the investigations are taking place.
“There is no damage to the boarding house or injury to any member of the College.
“Hurstpierpoint College has not been evacuated.
“The College will be contacting parents about alternative routes to Hurst, should College Lane remain closed at the end of the school day.”
The Middy now understands Southern gas Networks has confirmed there is no gas leak.
Hurstpierpoint College is now fully accessible and College Lane has been re-opened.