Vet warns pet owners of fatal lungworm

Skye with vet Emily at the clinic feeling much better after lungworm SUS-150104-164722001
Skye with vet Emily at the clinic feeling much better after lungworm SUS-150104-164722001
0
Have your say

A veterinary clinic is urging the public to be aware of a potentially ‘fatal’ disease to animals.

Heath Veterinary Clinic’s based in Burgess Hill and Hurstpierpoint, have noticed a increase in Lungworm, following a case of the disease in dog, Skye.

I’d heard about Lungworm before but never realised how dangerous it can be.

Mr Dover

Lungworm can be caught by animals eating snails and slugs or through infected animals faeces. However, it can be treated by vets if caught in time.

Emily Chadburn, senior veterinary surgeon at Heath Vets, said Skye was brought in with worrying blood clotting symptoms.

“It was touch and go for quite a while but following several blood transfusions and round the clock intensive care treatment from us and our 24 hour emergency care team, she is now much improved and on the mend.”

Mr Dover, Skye’s owner said: “I’d heard about Lungworm before but never realised how dangerous it can be. It all happened so quickly - Skye suddenly was showing some horrid symptoms and I immediately rushed her to Heath Vets.

“The team have looked after her really well and I am so glad they were on hand to help. She’s on the mend now and we’re over the moon to have her back home.”