Members and friends of Wivelsfield Church were pleased to welcome Mark, Bishop of Horsham on Sunday, May 10. He took the Morning Service and afterwards rededicated the Church Hall.
The Church Hall was built in 1916. The building was constructed in keeping with the old village school and other dwellings in Church Lane. Gradually the state of the building deteriorated. Something had to be done. The vision of the Trustees and the Parochial Church Council was to renovate the building to bring it up to modern day standards with good disabled access and good kitchen facilities. They wanted to provide a hall that will be able to be used extensively by the local community for many years to come.
Plans were drawn up which allowed for the conversion of the roof space into a two bed room flat. Letting the flat will provide regular income for the upkeep of the whole building. The cost of this project will be £250,000.
The friends of the Church have been fund raising for almost two years and have so far raised, with donations and pledges, £208,000. The Trustees would particularly like to thank the Henry Smith Charity and Garfield Weston Foundation for their generous support. Further donations will be most welcome.
The builders have now completed the project. We have a wonderful Church Hall, still in keeping with the other dwellings in the lane on the outside but bright and modern inside.
Report and picture contributed by Sara Crichton.