Mid Sussex MP welcomes extra funding for high streets

Mid Sussex District Council will receive £133,898 to help local high streets reopen and attract shoppers and tourists.

Wednesday, 7th April 2021, 1:14 pm

The Conservative government is investing a total of £56million, through the Welcome Back Fund, to help councils prepare for the end of lockdown when it is safe to do so.

This is part of a wider package of measures to revitalise high streets and ‘level up’ communities, including steps to make it easier for eateries to serve customers outdoors and set up market stalls this summer.

The money will also help councils boost tourism and improve green spaces.

Mid Sussex Conservative MP Mims Davies. Picture by Steve Robards

Mid Sussex MP Mims Davies said she is delighted the district is getting £133,898 from this fund, and is looking forward to seeing how the money will be spent to help give confidence and incentivise consumers, as they return to the high streets post-lockdown.

She added: “I know how difficult it has been for businesses on our high streets over the last year, and I have been determined to see them all get the financial help and support they need to recover.”

District council leader Jonathan Ash-Edwards said: “I welcome the unprecedented financial support that the Government is providing to help Mid Sussex businesses through the pandemic.”

District council leader Jonathan Ash-Edwards. Picture by Steve Robards