Two convicted over killing of Horsham father

Bridge (left) was convicted of murder, while Onofeghare was convicted of manslaughter by majority verdict. Picture: Sussex Police
Bridge (left) was convicted of murder, while Onofeghare was convicted of manslaughter by majority verdict. Picture: Sussex Police

Two men have been convicted of killing a Horsham father after a three week trial.

UPDATE: Two men have now been sentenced to a combined 39 years. Click here to read the new story

Police at the scene of the stabbing of Antony Williams last year. Pictures: Eddie Mitchell

Police at the scene of the stabbing of Antony Williams last year. Pictures: Eddie Mitchell

Nicholas Bridge and Daniel Onofeghare were today found guilty by a jury at Hove Crown Court.

Bridge was found guilty of murder by unanimous verdict.

Onofeghare was found guilty of manslaughter by majority vote.

The charges concerned the death of 37-year-old Anthony Williams in an altercation on September 19 last year.

The incident happened in Park Way in Horsham

The incident happened in Park Way in Horsham

He died from stab wounds at a flat in Burtons Court, in Park Way, Horsham.

Click here to read how fascinating story of detectives brought the two men to justice.

A three week trial

The jurors had been out since Tuesday afternoon, with the trial in its third week.

The trial at Hove Crown Court lasted three weeks

The trial at Hove Crown Court lasted three weeks

Bridge, 18, admitted during the trial that he caused the fatal blow but said he was trying to defend himself.

READ MORE: Teenage drug dealer from London admits killing Horsham father
However prosecutor Philip Bennett QC argued that Anthony Williams died in a ‘revenge attack’.

After the jury had been out for just under three days, Judge Jeremy Gold QC told them earlier that he would accept a majority verdict in this case.

In Crown Court trials in the UK, majority verdicts must have at least 10 of the 12 jurors in agreement.

Police and forensics officers investigating the incident last year

Police and forensics officers investigating the incident last year

This afternoon the jury returned their verdict.

They found Bridge guilty of murdering Mr Williams, with all jurors in agreement.

They also found Onofeghare guilty of manslaughter by majority verdict.

Following the convictions, Detective Chief Inspector Emma Heater thanked all those involved in the investigation.

Click here to read what she said.

‘Amazing father’

Following the conviction of Bridge and Onofeghare, Mr Williams’ family have spoken out about the impact his death has had on them.

Click here to read their moving tribute, issued today.

After Mr Williams was killed last year, his family also spoke out.

The family said: “Tony was an amazing father, partner, son, brother and friend. He had a heart of gold and always put others before himself.

“He was supportive, kind and caring to all he met.

“He was inquisitive about life, he always talked about new places, new ideas and ways in which he could change the world for the better.

“He was full of laughter, always smiling and full of love.

“He was popular and well-known among the local community and will be sadly missed by all of us.

“His memory will always live on in his children.”

Sentencing

Bridge and Onofeghare will appear for sentencing in due course.