Elderly man rescued from flat fire in Hurstpierpoint

Share this article

An elderly man was rescued during a flat fire in Hurstpierpoint this morning (October 21).

Firefighters were called to the blaze in the ground floor flat kitchen, in Trinity Road, just before 6.30am.

A West Sussex Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said the fire was believed to have been caused, accidentally, by cooking equipment.

The spokeswoman said an elderly male occupier was led to safety by firefighters, treated for smoke inhalation and left in the care of ambulance paramedics.

The flat was 60% damaged by smoke.