Family lucky to escape Hurst house fire after batteries removed from smoke alarms

Hurstpierpoint fire
Hurstpierpoint fire

Firefighters are urging people not to remove batteries from their smoke alarms after a young family had a fortunate escape from a fire in Hurst this morning (July 8).

West Sussex Fire & Rescue attended the terraced house in West Terrace Hurstpierpoint at 4.30am.

On arrival, crews found that a fire in a garden shed had spread to the roof of the house.

The adjacent terraced house roof void and loft was also damaged by fire.

Fire crews from Hurstpierpoint, Henfield and Brighton used eight breathing apparatus, four hose reels and the ladder platform to extinguish the fire.

Following an investigation by fire officers it was discovered the batteries had been removed from the first floor smoke detector.

Fire Investigation Officer for West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service, Richard Bradley said: “A smoke alarm can give you those extra minutes of warning to a developing fire, but only if it is working.

“Never remove batteries from smoke alarms. Without a battery in it, it’s is just a piece of plastic on your ceiling.”

For advice on how to choose the right smoke alarm, where to install it and other fire safety advice visit

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @midsussex_times

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Mid Sussex Times - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.