Fire risk warning after bedroom blazes in Burgess Hill

An extension lead led to a fire in Foxglove Close
An extension lead led to a fire in Foxglove Close

Firefighters in Burgess Hill are warning residents of fire risks in the home after two separate bedroom fires in the town.

As part of Electrical Fire Safety Week (November 9-16), people are being urged to make visual checks to prevent possible fires.

Damage caused by a fire in Condor Way

Damage caused by a fire in Condor Way

This year, firefighters have been called to fight two separate bedroom fires in Burgess Hill that have been caused by worn electrical wiring.

In May, fire crews were called to a terraced house on Foxglove Close when a frayed lead from an extension cable running under a bed sparked a fire. Last month, three fire crews were needed to extinguish a house fire in Condor Way which ignited as a result of worn wiring on a bedroom floor lamp.

Thankfully crews dealt with the fires quickly and the occupiers weren’t hurt but both incidents could have had a much more serious outcome.

Chris Bowles, watch manager at Burgess Hill Fire Station, said: “Electrical fires are often caused by simple things that people could check themselves and rectify at little or no cost. Worn wiring is an example of that.

“Carrying out regular visual checks to make sure that leads and cables are in good condition can reduce the risk of a fire.

“Where possible avoid placing furniture, carpets or rugs on top of cables because there is a risk that they could become damaged and potentially dangerous without you noticing.

“I’d also like to remind people how important it is to have a working smoke alarm. If a fire does break out, it not only gives you that precious time to escape safely, it also means the 999 alert can be raised promptly and gives our crews a chance to fight the fire at an early stage and limit the damage to your home.”

Safety advice includes: don’t overload plug sockets, don’t leave washing machines, dishwashers or tumble dryers on overnight or while you are out, regularly check for worn or frayed wires, unplug appliances when not in use, keep appliances in clean and good working order, and install a working smoke alarm on each level of your home and test it regularly

For more electrical fire safety advice click here.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.midsussextimes.co.uk

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/midsussextimes

3) Follow us on Twitter @midsussex_times

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Mid Sussex Times - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.