Outline planning permission for up to 460 new homes in Burgess Hill - which forms part of the Northern Arc - has been approved.
The application for the homes on land to the west of Freeks Lane is the first phase of the major development - where up to 3,500 new homes are set to be built.
It was unanimously approved by councillors at a planning meeting today (October 4).
The committee were asked to consider the access from Maple Drive only. All other matters were reserved.
A planning condition was also put in place after concerns were raised by Burgess Hill Town Council.
It was agreed that no more than 130 homes can be built on the site until a second access has been opened in Isaacs Lane.
Speaking in the meeting, Pru Moore, leader of the town council, said: “My residents are pragmatic people and they were not against this at all. A huge amount of social housing is going to be in that site and they fully appreciate the need for social housing.
“The residents have raised concerns but these have more or less been addressed. They were satisfied, apart from the access.”
Mrs Moore asked the committee if children could be involved with the planning of a new playground, as they will ‘suffer’ when their current playground is taken away.
She also said the town council delivered 200 letters to residents letting them know about the development and only two responded against it. She said this meant residents ‘were accepting it'.
She added: “They are pragmatic and realise that the development needs to happen. I strongly recommend this for agreement.”
Councillor Christopher Hersey questioned whether the site would take 460 homes, and if there would be problems if people wanted to go ‘one way or the other’ when exiting the site.
Homes England took control of the Northern Arc site in July. Its ‘masterplan’ was agreed by cabinet members last month.
A full application for the site is expected next spring, the committee said, and an outline planning application for the rest of the Northern Arc is expected next summer.