Hassocks garage fire ‘accidental’, says fire service

A fire that broke out at a garage in Hassocks last night is believed to have started accidentally, the fire service said.

Wednesday, 7th April 2021, 2:39 pm
Updated Wednesday, 7th April 2021, 3:10 pm

Crews from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called to Mackie Avenue at 5.30pm on Tuesday (April 6) following reports of a domestic garage fire.

Residents were advised to avoid the area if possible and to keep their windows and doors closed.

A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews used four hose reels, two jets, eight breathing apparatus, one thermal imaging camera and small gear to extinguish the fire, which was of accidental ignition.

Crews from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called to Mackie Avenue, Hassocks, on Tuesday (April 6)

“All appliances left the scene at 9.33pm, and one crew from Burgess Hill went back to reinspect the garage at 8am this morning.

“The incident is now closed.”