A second ward has been closed at a Sussex hospital following an outbreak of an infection.
The Princess Royal Hospital was forced to shut one of its wards yesterday (December 6) after 18 patients were suffering with diarrhoea and vomiting.
On Twitter Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust, which runs the Haywards Heath hospital, said a second ward had been closed to new admissions today due to the infection spreading.
On Tuesday the trust said strict infection control measures were in place to prevent the spread of symptoms.
Members of the public who were experiencing symptoms of diarrhoea or vomiting were advised not to come to the hospital and asked to contact their GP surgery, the out of hours GP service or the 111 service for advice.
“If you feel unwell with gastrointestinal symptoms you should stay at home and drink plenty of water and not visit friends or relatives in hospital until you are free of the symptoms for at least 48 hours,” a trust spokesman said. “Failure to do this will increase the risk of spreading the infection to patients and staff in hospital.”
The rest of the hospital remains open and is business as usual, the spokesman added.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.