Shocked Burgess Hill dog owner warns others after labrador eats 3ft of bandage

A Burgess Hill woman is warning dog owners and walkers after her two-year-old labrador ate three feet of bandage.

Jo Jacques, 39, of Sparrow Way, Burgess Hill, said she was left ‘shocked’ after her dog Bailey excreted the bandage after a walk.

Jo Jacques from with her dog Bailey

Jo Jacques from with her dog Bailey

She said: “Our two-year-old lab has eaten a few things over his time and I’m sure other dog owners have had the same problem – tissues, bits of toys and it seems, anything white.

“But a few weeks ago he excreted three feet worth of bandage and me and my partner woke up to find more bandage the other day.

“I was really shocked by it and I want to warn other dog owners and walkers and the people who refrain from cleaning up after themselves what can happen.

“It won’t just be dogs eating litter – foxes, cats, birds will just be interested.”

I was really shocked by it and I want to warn other dog owners and walkers and the people who refrain from cleaning up after themselves what can happen.

Jo Jacques

Jo said dogs have an attraction to the colour white, especially labradors.

She said she saw Bailey go towards a bloody tissue before but she luckily managed to get there in time.

She said: “They can get stuck and wrap around their intestines, causing damage.

“It’s really sad that we are now having to muzzle our loving and friendly dog because people can’t clean up after themselves. Please stop and think when littering.”

Jo said she was left shocked after her dog Bailey excreted the bandage after a walk

Jo said she was left shocked after her dog Bailey excreted the bandage after a walk

READ MORE: Burgess Hill school ‘over the moon’ after outstanding Ofsted rating

Jo said she was inspired to issue the warning after watching A Plastic Ocean on Netflix – a documentary which takes a deep look into the dangers of plastic in our oceans.

“It really shocked me,” she said, adding: “It is quite sad, and after watching that programme it was a real eye-opener.”

Jo said she often walks Bailey on a rugby field near her home.

She said he has eaten a rugby sock before, but fortunately he did not need surgery.

She said: “There will be a rugby match and bandages and tissues will be left on the ground.

“Litter has been a problem for here for some time, but I like walking him here, it is right by my house.”

Jo said she also sees so much litter lying around just walking the streets in Burgess Hill.

“I have never seen so much tissues,” she said.

“Dogs are attracted to blood, tissues and bandages.

“I just really wish people would take care on what they are doing and to think about the environment.”