Spontaneous combustion set 3,000 hay bales on fire at Plumpton College

PLUMPTON COLLEGE BARN FIRE SUS-150730-110728001
PLUMPTON COLLEGE BARN FIRE SUS-150730-110728001

The fire involving 3,000 hay bales at Plumpton College last week was caused by spontaneous combustion, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed.

Fire fighters were at the scene, at a barn on the college site, from 7.30am on Thursday (July 30) until 6pm the next day.

A spokesperson for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the fire was caused by spontaneous combustion - caused by the way the hay had been stored combined with high temperatures.

The barn which was set alight measured about 130 metres by 25 metres.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.midsussextimes.co.uk

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/midsussextimes

3) Follow us on Twitter @midsussex_times

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Mid Sussex Times - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.