Syringe and used needle found in Haywards Heath KFC toilets

KFC in Haywards Heath (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-150429-090143008
KFC in Haywards Heath (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-150429-090143008

A diner said he imagined the ‘worse case scenario’ after discovering a used syringe and needle in a fast food outlet in Haywards Heath.

The man, who did not want to be named, visited KFC in South Road on April 23, with his girlfriend on their lunch break. But he said the find made him feel ‘sick’.



He said: “After enjoying an above average meal I decided to use the rest room. Whilst using the toilet, I looked up at the top border. On a closer look I noticed a cylindrical object directly above the toilet. When I took a step back I realised it was a used syringe with needle attached.

“I can only describe the feeling of sickness and a lump in my throat. The panic of knowing I was in the same cubicle as someone who may have just used the needle, for what ever purpose.

“I thoroughly washed my hands, thinking what I could be touching or exposing myself to. I stepped back again and took a few quick pictures so I could have a closer look without getting too close.”

He told a member of staff who thanked him.

He added: “We talked about who would be so selfish as to place such an object so close to a toilet where it could fall on anyone who knocked the wall.

“As there were quite a few children and teenagers in the store your mind races to the worse case scenario of what could have happened if it did fall on someone, let alone a child. I know it may sound over the top but I thinks it’s a real problem if people think its acceptable to behave in this way and leave dangerous objects in stupid places.”

A KFC spokesperson said: “We’re very sorry for the customer’s experience and thank them for bringing it to the attention of our staff. Once alerted to the issue the item was immediately disposed of in a safe and appropriate manner and we have reminded all team members to be extra vigilant when conducting their regularly scheduled checks of the facilities.”