COMMUNITY LINKS CAFÉ: sets up in the Victory Hall kitchen on Friday 21 September from 11.00 am until 1.30 pm. Find out about the village and what is going on, make new friends and enjoy tea of coffee.
61 CLUB COFFEE MORNING: takes place on Saturday 22 September from 10.00 am until 12 noon in the Parish Room. They will have all their usual stalls including bric-a-brac, books, cakes/produce and a fabulous raffle. Any donations gratefully received on the morning.
BALCOMBE CLUB: The Kast Off Kinks are performing on Saturday 22 September at 7.00 pm. The band comprises all ex members with the original drummer, Mick Avory. They will be playing all the hits including Lola, Waterloo Sunset, You Really Got Me, and Sunny Afternoon. All here in Balcombe – a concert not to be missed with tickets only £18 available over the bar. The Club has a Pam and Barrie Quiz on Sunday 23 September at 8.00 pm. Teams of four.
CINEMA: The next film is Mamma Mia Here We Go Again in the Victory Hall on Friday 21 September at 7.30 pm. Tickets are just £6 from Threads. The film tells the story of how, 5 years after the events of Mamma Mia, Sophie learns about her mother’s past – whilst pregnant herself. It stars Lily James, Amanda Seyfried, and Meryl Streep, it is rated PG.
HAYWARDS HEATH MOVIE MAKERS: present an evening of films on Tuesday 2 October at 7.30 pm in the Parish Room. The programme includes films of local interest and footage of early Balcombe from the Screen Archive South East. There will be a retiring collection in aid of St. Mary’s in lieu of entry charge. To reserve a space contact Douglas on 811349 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
BALCOMBE BOWLS CLUB: It was the Club’s Finals Day on Saturday 15 September. The results were: Doubles Winners Denis Clayton & Graham Voller, Runners Up Martin Ratcliffe & Bill Jacques. Singles Winner Peter Green, Runner Up Bill Jacques. Handicap Winner David Dean, Runner Up Denis Clayton. Two Woods Winner Graham Voller, Runner Up Martin Ratcliffe. Veterans Winner David Dean, Runner Up Martin Ratcliffe. Ladies Singles Winner Hilary Lipyeat, Runner Up Sandra Voller. The Most Improved Player for the 2018 season was Denis Clayton.
BALCOMBE GARDENERS’ ASSOCIATION AUTUMN SHOW: on Saturday 8 September was well support with entries despite some extraordinary weather this year. The Sunflower Competition and Prue’s third prize winning specimen added extra colour and interest – thank you to Neil and Trudy for organising it and providing such great prizes. The afternoon was lively, convivial, and attended by the young, and the not quite so young. It was further enhanced by first rate refreshments. A big, big, thank you to everyone who took part, our winners are as follows:
· The High Coombe Perpetual Challenge cup – Sarah Burke and Hilary Ewing
· The Eric Knapp Perpetual Challenge cup – Mike Stevenson
· The John Parris Memorial cup – Sarah Burke
· The Stone Hall Perpetual cup – Hilary Ewing and Philip Wiltshire
· The Winifred W. Tait Perpetual cup – David Newnham
· The Woolgar Perpetual cup – Nina Leeming
· The Dr Hopkinson Perpetual cup – Mike Stevenson
· The Hamilton Perpetual Challenge cup – Sarah Burke
· The Albert Botting Perpetual Challenge cup – David Newnham
· The Doris Cartmel cup – Adam Adamou
· The Richard Garman cup for the tallest sunflower – Henry Hildesley
· The Royal Horticultural Society Banksian medal – Mike Stevenson
· The Worshipful Company of Gardeners diploma for the best flower exhibit – Prue Harding
· The Worshipful Company of Gardeners diploma for the best vegetable exhibit – David Newnham
· The Noel Tewson Domestic cup – Rosie Wiltshire
· The Balcombe Bake Off , competition cake winner – Nina Leeming
ST. MARY’S CHURCH: Sunday 23 September 8.00 am Holy Communion, 10.00 am Parish Eucharist with Sunday School.