Another win for unbeaten Burgess Hill

Lee Harding heads the opening goal for Burgess Hill. Picture by Colin Bowman
Lee Harding heads the opening goal for Burgess Hill. Picture by Colin Bowman
  • 33rd unbeaten league game for Hillians
  • Rob O’Toole hits his 20th goal of the season
  • Lee Harding scores opener for Burgess Hill

Burgess Hill Town travelled to Walton & Hersham hoping for a better performance than they produced when they faced each other a couple of weeks previously.

A good turnout of Burgess Hill fans was present to watch the match and encourage them on to what could possibly be their 33rd unbeaten league game of the season.

Walton & Hersham started the first half strongly and within five minutes Anthony Oaks has managed to create a chance and take a shot towards goal that was picked up by James Cottee and punted wide of the post. Just a minute later Walton & Hersham’s Andrew Mensah also failed to convert a chance after heading Josh Cover’s cross over the bar.

Pat Harding had Burgess Hill’s first chance of the half when he skilfully worked through the opposition’s defence and from 20 yards out took a shot on goal but was denied by the Walton & Hersham keeper.

Lee Harding put his name on the score sheet on 25 minutes after a Sam Fisk cross found Joe Keehan in the box who flicked the ball over to Lee Harding who safely headed home. Pat Harding then saw an opportunity to pressure the defence so made a good run out wide to cross to Darren Budd who was waiting in the centre of the field. Budd then tried to set Sam Fisk with a goal scoring opportunity but this led to the ball going out for a goal kick.

The second half continued as the first had ended with Burgess Hill Town having many attempts on goal. It did not take long for Hill to double their lead as on 57 minutes Pat Harding latched onto a Lee Harding cross and set Rob O’Toole up perfectly to slot the ball home.

Walton & Hersham came back on 70 minutes with a good effort to get a goal back. From 25 yards out, Anthony Oaks shot at Hill’s goal but his effort went just wide.

Ian Chapman made the decision to replace Darren Budd and Rob O’Toole with Graham Martin and Callum Saunders. Pat Harding nearly made his way onto the score sheet when he found space and made a great run into Walton & Hersham’s box where he found space and took a shot at goal. Luckily for Walton & Hersham, their number 6, Sacha Mbaye was on the goal line to block Pat’s effort.

Burgess Hill Town’s last attempt of the match was created after Hill were awarded a free kick which Stuart Tuck took quickly and tried to chip the ball over the keeper but Gary Ross managed to stretch to retrieve the ball.

New signing Tom Bold was then brought on to replace Scott Kirkwood and helped the Hillians see out the last few minutes and pick up another useful 3 points.

Burgess Hill Town now look forward to Tuesday where they face Whitehawk in the Semi-Final of the Sussex Senior Cup which is to be played at Lancing with a 7:45 kick off.

Burgess Hill Town: Josh James, Stuart Tuck, Sam Fisk, Darren Budd (Graham Martin 72), Andy Pearson, Will Miles, Scott Kirkwood (Tom Bold 88), Joe Keehan, Pat Harding, Lee Harding, Rob O’Toole (Callum Saunders 82)

Unused Subs: Max Taylor, Lukas Franzen Jones