Burgess Hill’s unbeaten run comes to end to Whyteleafe

Burgess Hill’s incredible unbeaten run came to an end tonight (Wednesday) as they lost 1-0 to Whyteleafe.

Thursday, 19th March 2015, 9:08 am
Ian Chapman

A crowd of three hundred and fifty one visited the Green Elephant stadium for this mid week fixture against in form Whyteleafe.

The game started with both sides showing their intent by pressing the opposition defences but without creating any real chances and the defences coming out on top however on twelve minutes Hill broke down the left and Sam Fisk put in a cross that found Pat Harding who headed to Scott Kirkwood who hit a low shot across goal that went just wide of Sheikh Ceesay’s far post. Both teams were seeing plenty of the ball but again not creating any chances until on twenty five minutes

Whyteleafes’s Jason Henry raced onto a through ball but Josh James was alert in the Hill goal and he raced out of the box to clear the danger.

Toby Pointing helped create a chance on thirty two minutes when he won the ball on the wing and crossed to Rob O’Toole who then found Scott Kirkwood who hit his shot just over the bar from the edge of the box. Hill were nearly gifted a goal a few minutes later when Osa Obamwonyi passed the ball back to Ceesay who’s miss hit clearance saw the ball just trickle past his near post. The last chance of the half came to Lee Harding but his effort was well blocked by Jason Thompson.

The second half started similar to the first with both sides having plenty of the ball without creating. The first fell to Whyteleafe and it saw the visitors take the lead when Jason Thompson powered home a header from a corner and this prompted Ian Chapman to make an instant change with Dan Perry coming on for Rob O’Toole. Sam Fisk set up Will Miles from a long throw but his effort went just over and on sixty six minutes Miles was provider for Lee Harding but his effort went well over the visitors cross bar.

Another change was made just after this with Callum Saunders coming on for Pat Harding however the next chance fell to Whyteleafe’s Sam Clayton but his first time curling effort went just wide of James far post.

Darren Budd was replaced by Tom Bold on seventy three minutes and he helped set up Saunders but his effort went just wide and with ten minutes left he created his own effort with the same result.

The visitors had a good chance to add a second with five minutes remaining but Greg Andrews saw his shot flash past the far post, Hill pushed hard to keep the unbeaten run going but the visitors defence stood firm and the referee called time with only two minutes of additional time added.

The match sponsors ML Engineering Ltd of Peacehaven gave man of the match to the impressive Will Miles.Burgess Hill Town: Josh James, Toby Pointing, Sam Fisk, Darren Budd (Tom Bold 73), Andy Pearson, Will Miles, Scott Kirkwood, Joe Keehan, Pat Harding (Callum Saunders 66), Lee Harding, Rob O’Toole (Dan Perry 57)

Unused Subs: Graham Martin, Dan Pearse