Crawley 2 Luton 1: Reds fight back for second win in a row

Crawley Town  V Leyton Orient - Crawley score their second goal (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-151210-102409008
Crawley Town V Leyton Orient - Crawley score their second goal (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-151210-102409008

Crawley Town performed Mission Impossible for the second week in a row when they beat Luton Town 2-1.

They had looked down and out against a side which had been unbeaten in five matches, going behind on 32 minutes through a goal by Cameron McGeehan.

However they improved greatly after the break and two second half goals by Rhys Murphy and Matt Harrold sealed victory on the day they celebrated their 119th anniversary.

Crawley handed a debut to new goalkeeper Darryl Flahavan who signed for them on Friday who was preferred to Callum Preston following regular No.1 Freddie Woodman’s recall by Newcastle United.

Reds made two changes to the side which beat Leyton Orient 3-2 with Josh Yerworth makeing his home debut at centre back in place of Joe McNerney who had a knee injury.

:Luton made three changes with new loan signing from Reading Sean Long coming in at right back, Jack Marriott and Nathan Doyle replacing Stephen McNulty, Josh McQuoid and Luke Guttridge.

Luton went close when Jionathan Smith and Luke Wilkinson seized upon the ball after Matt Harrold cleared straight back to Lee, however their efforts were blocked and then flew wide.

Former Brighton striker Craig Mackail-Smith then hit a thunderous strike for the visitors from 30 yards which flew over the bar.

Reds had a couple of chances with Simon Walton’s corner being headed wide by Gwion Edwards before Edwards set-up Rhys Murphy who nodded another ball over the bar.

Luton took the lead in the 32nd minute when an excellent cross by Long was headed in by Cameron McGeehan as Sonny Bradley tried without luck to head off the line.

Long then set up McGeehan again for another chance but this time it went wide.

Reds started pressing after the break with two successive corners, one of which was headed wide by Josh Yorwerth.

Crawley equalised in the 56th minute when Rhys Murhpy headed home Gwion Edwards’ cross from the right.

Murphy soon had another chances on goal which this time he lifted over the bar.

Luton substitute Paddy McCourt crossed for Jack Marriott who volleyed over the bar form ten yards.

Reds looked much improved in the second half and after a lot of attacking play in the Luton half deserved to regain the lead.

They went 2-1 up on 81 minutes when Murphy laid the ball off to him and he struck low into the corner of te net for his first ever goal at home.

REDS: Flahavan, Walton, Bradley, Edwards, Smith, Young, Harrold (Jenkins 90), Deacon (Rooney 67), Hancox, Yoerworth, Murphy.

Unused subs: Barnard, Preston, Fenelon, Ashton, Donnelly

LUTON: Tyler, Potts, Smith, Cuthbert (capt), McGeehan, Marriott (McQuoid 67), Lee (McCourt 67), Long, Mackail-Smith, Doyle, Wilkinson.

Unused subs: Lawless, Hall, Justham, Mpanzu, O’Brien

REFEREE: Gavin Ward (Surrey)

ATTENDANCE: 3,335 (1,412)

MAN OF THE MATCH: Matt Harrold

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!