Four games unbeaten for Burgess Hill after Staines Town draw

Phil Johnson reacts first to nod home leveller at Staines Town
Phil Johnson reacts first to nod home leveller at Staines Town

Burgess Hill Town stretched their unbeaten run to four games with a well earned, hard fought 2-2 draw away to Staines Town.

Hill made changes with Dan Perry starting instead of Callum Saunders; Dan Pearse was still out due to injury and Chris Smith missed the fixture due to illness.

The start to the first half was fairly even with both sides having chances early on. Staines came extremely close on 6 minutes when a good attempt from Michael Kalu was flicked onto the post by Josh James and rebounded to safety.

Hill came back strongly and on 14 minutes Pat Harding had a low driving shot that snuck in at the far post to put Burgess Hill Town ahead. Ten minutes later Joe Keehan got himself on the end of a Pat Harding corner and volleyed the ball from outside the box but his effort went just over.

On 34 minutes Staines Town had a great opportunity when Pat Cox turned inside the box and shot but his effort went just wide of the far post.

The Hillians maintained their lead until the half.

Darren Budd came close soon after the restart when Dan Perry set him up on the edge of the box but Budd’s powerful shot was well blocked by the defence.

Staines Town equalised on 56 minutes when Pat Cox picked up the ball in the box, turned and shot into the corner.

Scott Kirkwood had a good chance to regain the lead when Lee Harding headed the ball into his path but Kirkwood’s shot went well over the bar.

Soon after, Staines took the lead for the first time in the game when Luke Wanadio picked up the ball outside the box and Josh James managed to gat a hand to his low shot but it was not enough to prevent it going into the back of the net.

Phil Johnson replaced Darren Budd on 76 minutes and Johnson soon made an impact when on 80 minutes he headed home to equalise from a Kirkwood free kick. This was Johnson’s first senior goal for the Burgess Hill Town and it was enough to keep Hill in the game.

Guy Bolton then replaced Scott Kirkwood and helped Hill maintain possession that saw Pat Harding have the final shot of the game when his volley flew just over the bar.

Overall Hill deserved an equal share of the points after a battling draw.

Burgess Hill Town: James, Pointing, Fisk, Budd (Johnson 76), Pearson, Miles, Kirkwood (Bolton 87), Keehan, Perry, P.Harding, L.Harding

Not used: Wilshere, Tuck

Staines Town: Turner, Felix, Bennett, Lodge, Gough, O’Cearuill (Brewer 68), Wanadio (Boakye 77), Abdulla, Cox, Hutchinson, Kalu (M’Bengui 57)

Not used: Churchill, Vancooten

Attendance: 175

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!