Harding strike keeps Burgess Hill unbeaten at Herne Bay

Lee Harding, Burgess Hill Town FC. Picture by Steve Robards SUS-150113-082228001
Lee Harding, Burgess Hill Town FC. Picture by Steve Robards SUS-150113-082228001
  • Burgess Hill have now played 36 games with 29 wins and 7 draws
  • Herne Bay were on a 10 match unbeaten run before this game
  • Lee Harding scored the only goal of the game

Burgess Hill Town took the long trip up the M20 which again caused problems for the travelling supporters due to a large accident resulting in the kick off being delayed for ten minutes.

Burgess Hill had the wind at their backs and the advantage of the slope on the pitch in the first half and applied pressure from the start.

Within the first ten minutes two early corners didn’t provide any chances for Hill and the first chance of the half fell to Pat Harding when Joe Keehan headed on a Sam Fisk long throw that found Pat inside the box but his shot was blocked only to fall to Callum Saunders who had two shots at goal but again the home defence managed to block them both before scrambling the ball away. On twenty four minutes Hill were awarded a free kick outside the box and Darren Budd managed to find Will Miles who’s header went just wide.

Five minutes later Miles was presented with another chance when another Sam Fisk long throw found him inside the box but his shot was deflected across the goal and was just out of Lee Harding’s reach at the far post. Joe Keehan went close on thirty six minutes but his powerful shot went inches over the home goal however a minute before half time Hill took a deserved lead when Darren Budd’s free kick found Lee Harding inside the six yard box and he made no mistake firing the ball home.

The second half had Hill defending the slope and Herne Bay took full advantage of the conditions applying the pressure from the start they thought they had drawn level on fifty nine minutes when Mark Lovell headed the ball home but luckily for Hill the referee had spotted a push on Josh James and awarded a free kick. Ian Chapman made a change with Rob O’Toole coming on for Callum Saunders out wide. With thirty minutes left, Darren Budd picked up a yellow card just before Hill created their first real chance of the half when Lee Harding headed just wide and Budd was replaced by Dan Perry with twenty minutes to play.

Herne Bay continued to apply pressure but the Hill defence denied them chances, Pat Harding went close but home keeper Jack Delo pulled off a fine save to turn the ball past the post.

Herne bay made a few changes and pushed hard to get back in the game and they went close on eighty five minutes but the ball was blasted over the bar from just inside the box.

The referee added five minutes of injury time on which lifted the home crowd. Andy Pearson denied substitute Jordan Casey with a fantastic block inside the box and Danny Walder should have done better when he found space inside the box but his effort went well over the goal. Hill fought hard for this win and deserved all three points which keeps the unbeaten run going but more importantly keeps them clear at the top of the league.

Burgess Hill Town: Josh James, Toby Pointing, Sam Fisk, Darren Budd (Dan Perry 71), Andy Pearson, Will Miles, Scott Kirkwood, Joe Keehan, Pat Harding, Lee Harding, Callum Saunders (Rob O’Toole 58)

Unused Subs: Graham Martin, Dan Pearse, Tom Bold