Langney Wanderers 0, Haywards Heath Town 4: Saunders’ men all but secure promotion with 23rd straight league win

Nathan Cooper hurdles a challenge. Picture by Grahame Lehkyj SUS-160121-092309001
Nathan Cooper hurdles a challenge. Picture by Grahame Lehkyj SUS-160121-092309001

Haywards Heath Town put in a solid display to record their 23rd league win and pretty much secure promotion to the SCFL Premier Division.

Heath kept up their impressive form with a solid 4-0 victory against Langney Wanderers played at Eastbourne Utd.

Heath now move onto 69 points and are 16 points clear at the top of Division 1, looking at the table 1 more point will guarantee promotion in a minimum of 3rd place but with +42 goals over our nearest opponents the 69 points all but guarantees it.

A big well done top the players and management for the current position they have achieved.

Tuesday’s match against Langney was always going to be tough, Langney play hard and like to get the ball down and play.

Heath started well controlling possession but Langney looked dangerous on the break.

It would be a night that Heath would be deadly from set pieces, On 14 minutes Nathan Cooper kept up his fine scoring form when his header from a Callum Saunders corner was well saved he reacted quickest to smash the ball in from close range.

Langney had a great chance to level the match on 25 minutes but the ball hit the foot of the post before being cleared by Nathan Cooper.

On 28 minutes Heath doubled their lead, Jamie Weston sent a corner in that seemed to clear everyone but Nathan Cooper managed to bundle the ball goalwards from the far post that needed the assistant referee to signal that the ball had crossed the line.

On the stroke of half time another Jamie Weston corner was well met this time by Max Miller who made no mistake with his header from 3 yards out.

After the break Langney had several good breaks at Heath but their biggest threat was the long throw weapon that needed another Nathan Cooper goal line clearance.

Langney had keeper Graham Leach to thank as he kept out Callum Saunders one on one chance and then made a great save from Rob O’Toole turning his header onto the bar before Callum Saunders follow up as hit the bar before finally going out.

It was game over on 79 minutes with Rob O’Toole continuing his fine goal scoring stats when Scott Marshall picked out his run and he slotted home under the advancing keeper to claim his 34th goal in as many games.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!