MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Rob O’Toole hits four as Haywards Heath Town make it 14 wins on the trot

Haywards Heath Town Manager Shaun Saunders Sep 2015. Pic Steve Robards SR1521789 SUS-150914-105145001
Haywards Heath Town Manager Shaun Saunders Sep 2015. Pic Steve Robards SR1521789 SUS-150914-105145001

After three cup matches in a row Heath finally returned to league action looking to keep their winning run going and keep pace with the sides above them.


On 30 minutes Saltdean went closest to opening the scoring, after poking and probing through midfield the ball fell kindly to the midfielder who’s strike from 20 yards cannoned off the cross bar.

On 35 minutes Heath finally opened the scoring in somewhat fortuitous fashion. Carl Dunk sent in a low corner which Ryan Warwick stepped over and the ball came off Josh Bryant’s stomach and found its way into the back of the net.

An Injury to a Saltdean midfielder saw a shuffle round of players for the home side and the full back moved into the centre of the park, it was this player who got Saltdean back on level terms on 41 minutes when Heath backed off and Saltdean player hit a strike from 20 yards that left Heath keeper Simon Lehkyj stranded and the ball flew into the top corner.

On 44 minutes Carl Dunk picked up a yellow for dissent after protesting a little too much over two tackles on Heath players. Just a minute later a lunge tackle which won the ball but the referee deemed dangerous saw a swift 2nd yellow issued followed by a red card.

Heath came out with purpose the second half and any sign of being a man light were certainly not visible.

On 48 minutes Rob O’Toole hit a fierce strike that the Saltdean keeper got down well and pushed away.

Heath’s pressure on the Saltdean goal finally paid off on 59 minutes when Jamie Weston sent a corner in from right that Tom Grave rose highest and headed home.

On 65 minutes Saltdean’s 1 man advantage disappeared as the centre half spat at Ryan Warwick and the Assistant Referee saw it all, after a quick word with the referee the player was rightly shown a straight red card. Manager Shaun Saunders then introduced fresh legs as Danny Turner and Matt Geard replaced Max Miller and Ryan Warwick on 68 minutes.

Heath were now really turning the pressure up on their hosts. The 2 goal advantage was not long coming as the lively Danny Turner sent in a great cross on 69 minutes that Rob O’Toole got in-between two defenders and headed home. On 84 minutes it was game over as Scott Marshall won the ball in midfield and slotted the ball into Rob O’Toole who beat two defenders and took a lucky ricochet before the ball fell kindly at his feet and he smashed the ball into the far corner.

Four was soon five as Rob O’Toole completed his hat-trick just 2 minutes later. Bailie Rogers continued to get forward well and his cross was met in the 6 yard box by the diving header of Rob O’Toole.

In the 89th minute it was the same combination again as Rob O’Toole took his league goal tally to 12 for the season.

Afterwards Manager Shaun Saunders said: “We weren’t at our best today but we have come away with all 3 points and no injuries which is really pleasing.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!