Pink Flamingos enjoy their most successful weekend

Pink Flamingos 1ZEhpfATqHUf9vVlzX5W
Pink Flamingos 1ZEhpfATqHUf9vVlzX5W
  • 1st Team saw off lower league opposition in SSFL trophy Quarter Final, beating Inter Active 6-0
  • Flamingos Reserves were crowned Division 2 champions with two games remaining
  • The Under 18s round off a perfect weekend by lifting the Mid Sussex Youth League Under 18 Plate

Pink Flamingos enjoyed their most successful weekend ever as a club on Sunday, with all four teams winning some crucial games, and some in remarkable fashion.

The 1st Team saw off lower league opposition in SSFL trophy Quarter Final, beating Inter Active 6-0. Luke Akehurst scored twice, and Ben Cochrane, James Westlake, Lewis Westlake, Paul Wilkinson all scored a goal to complete a comfortable victory.

Flamingos Reserves celebrated a third successive league championships when they were crowned Division 2 champions with two games remaining.

An emphatic 10-1 vicotry again AFC Romans sealed the title after a performance that manager Tim Holland described as the sides “best ever”. Glenn Hunt struck an impressive five times and Taylor Paddington twice, whilst Paul Hunt, Tom Stutters and Ben Burgess were all on target too for the Pinks.

If Glenn Hunt’s five goals set a challenge to any 3rd Team players, James Mountford certainly responded in a 5-3 victory against AFC Tarner. Mountford scored four in his quest for Luke Martin’s top goalscorer award, with the current holder also adding one to his tally.

The Under 18’s round off a perfect weekend for the Pinks lifting the Mid Sussex Youth League Under 18 Plate at Horley Football Club. Heron Olympic provided tough opposition, but the ribbons on the trophy were pink as Flamingos won 3-1 on the day.

Man of the Match, Michael McCormick created the first after just 1 minute for Flamingos. He drove down the left hand side before cutting the ball back to George Tucker, whose blocked shot fell to George Bloomfield just yards from goal with a simple tap in.

Heron levelled soon after, their pacey winger shocking the Pinks defence who were caught high up the pitch, giving him all the time in the world to pick his corner when one-on-one with Kieran Wilkinson in the Pink’s goal.

Wilkinson was called to action again soon after with another one-on-one; but this time bravely threw himself at the wingers feet and picking up some very bruised ribs for his troubles.

The Young Flamingos enjoyed most of the possesion in the first half, and played some very slick football. But it was Ben Greenfield’s long throw into the box that created the next opportunity for a goal half an hour in.

Alex Collins, the big centre half, went up to cause choas, and that worked as the ball fell to George Tucker who was able to convert on his right foot.

The second half was all about the Pinks’ defenders. They held tight as tired legs paved the way for Heron to get back into the game. Captain Josh Fair and righ-back Ed Hollingdale had to make more than their fair share of tackles, and Sam Tester worked tirelessly in midfield to disrupt Heron’s attacking play.

The game was sealed against the run of play though, when Ben Greenfield rocketed a left footed volley in from a corner. 3-1 to the Pinks and game over; a fourth trophy in a highly successful season for Pink Flamingos Football Club