St Francis Rangers FC u13s enjoy cup final victory

St Francis Rangers u13s celebrate
St Francis Rangers u13s celebrate

St Francis Rangers FC under 13s won the Mid-Sussex Cup after coming from behind to beat Wealden Rangers 3-1 at The New Defence Ground in Horley.

It was a fantastic match in which both teams played some excellent passing football with a spirit that would grace any Cup Final.

Wealden Rangers started the brighter of the two teams and after some early pressure took the lead with a great strike from Buhary just inside the 18 yard box which found the bottom right corner of the net. Lifted by their goal, Wealden continued to press the St Francis Rangers defence in search of another goal. The Rangers defenders and goalkeeper held firm and gradually St Francis began to get a foothold in the match and play some nice football. The game was finely balanced with chances at both ends as the first half progressed.

After 30 minutes St Francis left winger Whelan closed down Wealden’s goalkeeper Gunguwo who’s long clearance was intercepted by midfielder Dawes on the half way line. His one touch pass found team-mate Evans who sprinted clear to neatly sidestep the keeper and roll the ball into the net for an equalising goal.

Just a few moments later St Francis Rangers scored a 2nd goal to take the lead. A throw from the left by White was flicked on by Naylor to Frankland. He in turn found Dawes who slid the ball to Pedley on the edge of the Wealden area. A quick pass into the feet of Evans saw his initial shot blocked but he made sure with his second shot to score low in the left side of the goal and give St Francis Rangers a 2-1 lead going into half time.

The second half continued to showcase some great football from both sides with Wealden searching for an equaliser and St Francis looking to extend their lead. The score remained 2-1 despite both sides creating numerous chances and showing why they deserved to be in the final.

Eventually with just minutes remaining in the match St Francis Rangers scored the all important goal that sealed the victory. Right Winger Evans turned provider as his cross found its way to the right hand side of the Wealden goal where Collett jumped to head home and clinch the Cup. There was barely time to restart the match before the Referee signalled the end of a thrilling match which was a fantastic advert for youth football in Sussex.