Three goals in four minutes kill off St Francis Rangers’ challenge

Glenn Charker,  St Francis FC. Pic Steve Robards SUS-140929-120520001
Glenn Charker, St Francis FC. Pic Steve Robards SUS-140929-120520001

Three goals in the space of four minutes killed off Rangers chances of making it two wins in two for Glenn Charker’s side as they made the journey home from Middle Road empty handed much to the disappointment of the visiting management and players on Saturday.

Rangers arrived at Shoreham on Saturday in 8th position and within touching distance of the top six but suffered with absentees of Sam Saunders, Tom Saunders (both injured), Steve Smith (unavailable) but Pat Rose made the starting eleven on his return from Hassocks in recent days, Rangers included Worthing’s Brannon O’Neill who didn’t have a game and Adam Hinshelwood released the former Rangers man to allow him to gain some additional match fitness. Shane Collins and Elliott Butler went with the reserves for game time whilst Harry Flower was away on holiday.

The home side came into the fixture on the back of a nothing short of impressive three points collected at high flying Eastbourne Town the week prior with the visitors home clash against Ringmer being postponed through poor weather.

Shoreham served their first of three killer blows after just 38 seconds of the kick off when a mix up between centre half Josh Bryant and Brannon O’Neill fell to George Rudrick who fired into the bottom corner with Gordon helpless from the edge of the visitors penalty area.

Rangers had their chances to bring the game level with the best falling to O’Neill who hit the post with a side footed effort just before the break with his weaker right foot and home keeper Taylor beaten only for the woodwork to save him after Millroy & Leppard has worked an opening in the Shoreham 18 yard box.

Pat Rose’s hard work and determination almost paid off in his first game since his return to the side he departed towards the end of 2014 when he came close to opening up the Shoreham back line with his lively approach found himself in the odd pocket of space but couldn’t make the most of his options when in the final third.

Rangers were served their killer blow from Kane Louis’ side when within three minutes of the re start his side killed the game off with goals from Rob Allan & Kai Bichard, the former Burgess Hill man making it three in so many games for his side in recent weeks. From that point on it was huff and puff from Rangers as they had had the wind taken from their sails and continued to try to get themselves back into the game.

James Westlake probably should have done better when he found himself in front of the home keeper who saved in dramatic point blank style as Westlake side footed his effort with Taylor turning it around the post. Taylor was again called upon shortly after by Louis’ side to save a dramatic finale when he pushed away O’Neill’s dangerous serving goal bound free kick from the edge of the box keeping his side in the contest.

Charker spoke to us after the game: “It was men against boys at times. I’m not going to talk about the game in much detail. The players know my thoughts. The goals knocked the stuffing out of us to be fair and we never really recovered, they were big blows to us at key times in the game. In truth, we didn’t deserve anything from the game, I’m hugely disappointed and can only put it down to a bad day at the office.”