VIDEO REACTION: Hillians beaten by solitary strike at Enfield Town

BHTFC v Northampton. Keeper Josh James damages his hamstring. Pic Steve Robards, SR1516245 SUS-150713-124446001
BHTFC v Northampton. Keeper Josh James damages his hamstring. Pic Steve Robards, SR1516245 SUS-150713-124446001

Corey Whitely’s 75th minute strike was enough secure Enfield Town’s first 3 points of the season and Burgess Hill’s second defeat in the Ryman Premier Division.

Burgess Hill’s fourth game in the Ryman Premier Division took them north of the M25 to Enfield Town where they faced a hungry Enfield searching for their first points of the season.

Just five minutes into the first half Enfield Town’s Whitely headed just wide of the post, setting the tone for the afternoon. Hillians keeper Josh James was kept busy from the first whistle but remained composed throughout.

Hillians created few chances in the first half, the most notable, Josh Jones’ deep cross after three minutes that brushed the post on its way out.

Enfield’s new signing Connor Witherspoon was subbed off with an injury after only nine minutes.

Whitley’s cross to Bobby Devyne whose headed effort flew over the bar was the closest Enfield came to taking the lead.

After the break there was very little change from Burgess Hill’s lacklustre first-half performance.

Whitely was at the heart of the action once again, latching himself on to a cross, his headed effort from close-range blocked by Andy Pearson after 47 minutes.

In the 51st minute Jones had a volleyed effort denied by Enfield keeper Nathan McDonald who delt with the driven shot comfortably.

Just before the hour mark Whitely had two golden opportunities to give Enfield their first league goal of the season. Attacking with pace, Whitely was able to step past Sam Fisk only to strike the ball wide of the target, and just moments later repeated the same move, missing the target.

Whitely didn’t give up and his chance came in the 75th minute as Darren Budd lost possession in Enfield’s half which launched a counter attack with a looping ball threaded through to Whitely on the right who wasn’t going to miss another opening, stepping past Toby Pointing, striking the ball into the bottom left corner.

With 10 minutes left on the clock, Chapman played three at the back in hope of grasping a late equaliser.

Josh James ensured the deficit was not extended with a superb close-range save with four minutes of normal time remaining.

In injury time Josh James’ deep free kick found Fisk’s head, but no one was able to latch on to the end of it allowing the keeper to smother it and kill the attack.

In the final minute Josh James proved why he deserved the Man of the Match award for the Hillians with another acrobatic save. The follow up shot was blocked well by Toby Pointing stopping what should have been Enfield Towns’s second of the game.

Burgess Hill will have to improve if they want to extend their points tally on Wednesday as they face Harrow Borough at home.

Hillians: Josh James, Lee Harding, Sam Fisk, Tony Pointing, Andy Pearson, Joe Keehan, Darren Budd, Tommy Fraser (George Branford 62), Josh Jones (Callum Saunders 54), Pat Harding, Phil Johnson (Chris Smith 69). Unused subs: Stuart Tuck & Dan Pearse.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!