Youth football round-up

under 10

Friday, 20th December 2013, 3:00 pm

Tough test for Cosmos

Maidenbower 1 Cuckfield Cosmos Ath 1

High-flying Maidenbower Colts Black proved a tough test for Athletic after their run of excellent results. In game 1 both teams started slowly and although there were chances at both ends, the deadlock was not broken until just before half time when the hosts struck. From the kick off for the second half it was clear both teams intended to play at a higher tempo but gradually Athletic took control and their pressure finally told when captain Finley Morais finished from the centre of the box. Both sides had further opportunities but a draw was the fair result.

Maidenbower 8 Cuckfield Cosmos Ath 4

The second clash was a game of two very different halves. The hosts started strongly and bossed the first half as Athletic struggled to contain the pressure. But after turning around trailing 5-0, Athletic were determined to prove they were better than their first half display and impressed with their determination to win the midfield battle. Their increased effort paid off when Will Kemp scored from distance but Maidenbower were always dangerous on the break and quickly added their sixth. Undeterred, Athletic pushed on and Cale Bartley headed in a corner at the far post. Again Colts quickly replied and they did the same again after Kemp’s second reduced the deficit. To their credit, Athletic heads did not go down and they had the final word when Bartley struck.

under 11

Southdown topple the leaders

Mile Oak 0 Southdown Girls 1

Southdown travelled to leaders Mile Oak for their toughest test this season. The rain soaked conditions played their part in disrupting the passing game of both teams but solid defending from Charlotte Symmonds and Olivia Hudson contained Oak to rare counter attacks. Libby Ackland-Hancock toiled all match to bring the ball out of defence and feed the Southdown attack. After a period of Southdown pressure, it was Alisha Mainwarring who broke the deadlock as with quick feet she rounded the keeper. Holly Buckfield and Libby Trotter impressed defending the flanks, but the real stars for Southdown were Zahra Cheeseman, who pulled off four acrobatic and brave saves, and Kelly Fuller, whose constant attacking posed a significant threat. Southdown now rest over Christmas before taking on Ascot in the quarter finals of the Surrey Cup in January.

Sweet revenge for Place

Marle Place Wands 5 Lindfield Rovs 2

Place got their own back on Lindfield, having suffered a 2-0 defeat the previous month at Hickman’s Green. The home side started positively, exerting early pressure, and after winning a corner, Kieron Mason managed to force the ball over line at the second attempt. At the other end the hosts were grateful to keeper Yomi Makayi for a fantastic block. Chances and near misses then followed for Ollie Appaya, defender Ollie Carr, Tom Pughe-Morgan, who hit a post, and Kobe Dersley. Place were then rocked back when Rovers levelled via a post and it needed another fine save from Makayi to stop them going behind. Place finally restored their lead when Tommy O’Donaghue slotted home when found by a free kick but they were pegged back within a minute after their defence had been opened up. Although Lindfield continued to look dangerous on the break, O’Donaghue’s header deceived everyone to put Place back in front and this time they were in no mood to surrender the advantage. Pughe-Morgan made it four after Robert Fulton made a nuisance of himself and Mason finished as he started, scoring from an Appaya corner. Joint MoM went to Kieron Mason and Tommy O’Donaghue.

Mistakes prove oh so costly

Southdown Rov 3 Cuckfield Cosmos2

It was another frustrating day for Cosmos as mistakes cost them dearly. They started slowly and it was the home side who took an early lead after hesitancy in the visiting defence. Cosmos woke up after that and responded well with lots of pressure down the hill. Driven on by MoM George Jeavons, they grabbed a deserved equaliser when Josh Wells smashed in a William Rogers corner. Rovers regained

the lead just before the break but Cosmos were back in it when Rogers levelled from the penalty spot midway through the second half. It was a late breakaway goal that sealed the points for Rovers as Cosmos failed to take their chances at the other end.

Under 14

Place just about hold on

Marle Place Wands 1 Meridian Ath 0

In a tense finale, Place just managed to hold onto for this narrow win against a hard working, well organised 10-man Meridian side. Place asked all the early questions but failed to score and then Athletic started causing a few problems, which saw the first of two great saves by keeper Michael Platt. Sandwiched in between these was the only goal as a Luke Moulds’s corner and Ollie Roney assist enabled MoM Daniel Moiseiwitsch to strike the ball home through a crowded area. After the break a fired-up Athletic took the game to their hosts, keeping Place’s back four regularly occupied. As the final whistle approached, Athletic’s pressure became more intense but the closest they came to an equaliser was when a header hit the bar, although the flag had already gone up for offside.