All Blacks bitterly disappointed they did not take more from Pulborough defeat

Rugby. London 3 South East. Pulborough v Burgess Hill. Action from the match.''Picture: Liz Pearce  241015'LP1502215 PPP-151024-202610006
Rugby. London 3 South East. Pulborough v Burgess Hill. Action from the match.''Picture: Liz Pearce 241015'LP1502215 PPP-151024-202610006

Burgess Hill RFC the Sussex All Blacks travelled to Pulborough on Saturday in the league.

With 4 additional first team back available te squad was the strongest the men in black had fielded all season.

The first 30 minutes was all Pulborough as they used their large pack and skill full runners to take the game to the All Blacks. Despite the onslaught they only crossed the line twice one of which was converted.

With 10 minutes to go the All Blacks sprung into life and took the game to Borough. The back row of Adam Rez, Dave Wattam and James Brown carried well before the centre pairing of Jordan Sayers and Adam Fuller cut through the Borough midfield.

After pounding the Borough line Second Row Jonny Acton picked up at a back of the ruck and uses all of his 6ft 4 frame to reach and score 12-7. Winger Rhys Clarke added the extras to lead and dived for the line to score. At the stroke of half time Hill were awarded a penalty. Clarke stepped up but pushed the ball to the right of the post.

The All Blacks tarted the second half the stronger and were camped in the Pulborough half for 20 minutes. After winning a series of kickable penalties the All Blacks developed Japan Fever and went for the try but on each occasion the Borough defence kept them out.

To make matters worse Pulborough immediately made a tirade into the All Blacks half where they scored a controversial try which appeared to be dropped as the winger crossed in the corner, 17-7.

It was all Hill now as they throw the kitchen sink at Borough. All Blacks scrum half, George Yeates was electric as was debutant prop replacement Andy Mackay. After a break by Fuller the ball was popped to Yeates who wa tackled short before he popped off to Sayers who scored to the right of the post. With Clarke injured, Fuller slotted th conversion 17-14.

The All Blacks now went for the kill and their interplay and handling was the best seen in quite a while. After a series of powerful scrums the men in black were awarded a penalty on full time. Up stepped Fuller to level the game in a similar position to the conversion. Unfortunately it was not to be as the ball was pushed wide.

The All Blacks were bitterly disappointed they did not take more from the game however they will be very happy with the performance. If they can keep this squad together combined with the 3-4 injuries due back in the next 3 weeks they will soon show everyone what they are made of.

With 3 teams out last Saturday the Sussex All Blacks are going from strength to strength. Anyone wishing to join should contact DoR Ross Hallifax on 07941 016836 /

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!