Heath dominate with strong performance in the sunshine

Haywards Heath v Lewes
Haywards Heath v Lewes

Heath XV maintained its unbeaten record so far this season when they played Lewes II at Whiteman’s Green on Saturday after this scheduled away fixture was switched to home territory due to ongoing issues at the Lewes RFC Clubhouse.

Heath took full advantage of the bright sunshine and ideal playing conditions to run in thirteen tries and overwhelm the opposition in a dominant display.

Early in the first half the Heath No. 8 Dan Fergusson took a neat inside pass and although he was stopped by some fierce Lewes tackling just short of the try line, he managed to pop a pass to fly half Fotheringham who scored under the posts and subsequently converted, 7-0. Fergusson was again involved in the next heath attack with a pick off the back of the scrum, he drew the defence before popping the ball out to the openside flanker Sam Drage to score. This was also converted making it 14-0. The Heath attacks were coming at Lewes in waves and everyone wanted to be involved. No. 7 Drage was again instrumental in the third try with a break off the back of the line out before beating three defenders. From the resulting ruck centre, Matt Duncan, crashed over from short range, 19 -0.

The Heath forwards then started to dominate with a series of destructive rolling mauls that had Lewes on the back foot. The pack gained nearly thirty metres and Fergusson finished off the forwards great work with another well-worked try which kept the scoreboard moving to 24-0. From more Heath pressure in the Lewes 22, scrum half Hartley flopped over from a ruck under the Lewes posts, this time the try was converted, 31-0. There was still time for Drage to add to his personal tally before half time and his try was converted making the score 38-0 at the break.

Although the scoreboard was against them, Lewes II continued to compete with pride however after a Heath turnover on the Lewes 22, Will Haworth, Heath’s blindside flanker, broke away supported by fly half Fotheringham who was stopped short only for the supporting Haworth to pick up the ball and score neatly under the posts, 45-0. There followed a period of intense Heath running play when first Matt Duncan scored from a strong diagonal run to make it 52-0, and then another from the livewire Fergusson after another scrum pick and a neat rollout of a strong tackle, 59-0.

The intensity and concentration dipped midway through the second half as Lewes were able to disrupt the flow of posession. Fly Half Fotheringham took the matter into his own hands with a neat kick ahead and he outpaced the covering defence to score again and add a conversion to make it 66-0. In the closing phase of the match when understandably Lewes II were less able to chase the game, scrum half Hartley caught the Lewes defence napping and taking a quick tap from a penalty raced in from 30metres, 71-0.

Man of the match Fotheringham then added to another excellent day for Heath’s fly half to score his fourth try, 76-0. There was still time for a final score of a hard afternoon for Lewes when burly second row Tom Kenyon Burns burst through the midfield and the move was finished off by number 12 Max Drage making the final tally for Heath 81-0.

Heath has the opportunity to consolidate its position at the top of the league and benefit from two back to back upcoming home games, the first against Ditchling I on 13 December, followed by Sussex Police on 20 December. All support welcome at Whiteman’s Green before, during and after matches.