Heath U13s win very competitive encounter with Worthing

Heath U13s sneak win against Worthing RcD9_feDw65xfdIAwpa-
Heath U13s sneak win against Worthing RcD9_feDw65xfdIAwpa-
Share this article

Heath U13s came through a very competitive and physically hard fought game of rugby against Worthing to win their first league match.

Heath U13s started strongly taking the game to Worthing and with some quick ruck ball they put their inside centre, Chris Anson, over in the corner for a very well worked try. This seemed to stir Worthing into action and they spent the rest of the half battering away at the Heath try line using their very big forward pack but Heath’s defence stood strong. Heath’s strong midfield prevented Worthing’s backs gaining ground and, despite having the majority of the ball and great field position, the Worthing forwards were unable to convert this into points.

Frustration and ill discipline crept into Worthing’s game at key moments which allowed Heath to clear their line and turn around 5-0 up at half time. Worthing started off the second half aggressively and finally managed to work their forwards over for a close range try making it 5-5. Responding to the try Heath worked the ball through the backs into the Worthing 22 and were awarded a penalty for some ill discipline from a Worthing player. With the penalty straight in front of the posts Chris Anson took the successful kick to take the lead back at 8-5.

Worthing kept the ball in their forwards and put the Heath try line under siege for the next twenty minutes and finally the pressure told and Worthing scored a try to take the score to 8-10. With the clock ticking down and the Worthing pack tiring, Heath again worked the ball through the backs and the forwards to gain some good field position but with a couple of loose final passes the try line went begging. With only two minutes left until full time one last big effort from Heath saw the ball worked first, left to right pulling in the big Worthing pack out of position and then allowing Chris Anson to score in the far left hand corner to take the lead 13-10.

With only 30 seconds left on the clock, Worthing threw everything at Heath but with some stubborn and resolute defending the final whistle blew providing the Heath U13 squad with a first league win. A great result and reward for the dedicated training the Heath U13s squad has been undertaking so far this season.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!