Former convent is turned into new homes
A former convent on the edge of Haywards Heath has been converted into homes.
Built in 1886, the neo Gothic building was originally used as a convent for the Community of The Holy Cross, an Anglican Benedictine order founded in 1857 by Elizabeth Neale, sister of John Mason Neale.
It was designed by Ninian Comper, one of the last great Gothic Revival architects, and retains many gothic period features.
Now known as Grosvenor Hall it is set in nine acres of landscaped gardens on the edge of woodland.
The main chapel, now Chapel Height apartments, was designed by Max Gill and added shortly afterwards, with the foundation stone being laid in June 1902 by Viscount Halifax.
Grosvenor Hall has now been converted to create eight individual Victorian houses, all with private gardens, and there are also a further five detached homes within the development.
Developers say they have made every effort to preserve the original period features or replace them to period design.
Within the development is the convent’s former laundry, which has been renovated and turned into a five-bedroom detached house.
Prices start at £875,000. The houses are being sold through estate agents Savills and Mansell McTaggert in Haywards Heath.